Friday, May 05, 2006

Grace

I feel all of us need grace and also to display grace to everyone around us. I remembered very vividly about my secondary school principal who preaches to us to have social graces not only to show it in our toilets (That time, Singapore was educating Singaporeans about having social graces by making sure that public toilets are clean and tidy) but also to display it to the people around us. This is to ensure that we will be showing a good example as students of our school to the public.

Indeed, we need to display grace to everyone around us. We do not have to mention a far-fetched example. Just for instance, public transportation.Many times when the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) arrives at the station, once the doors are opened, many people just rushes into the cabin without even waiting for the alighting passengers to alight first. This often results in unneeded frustration and unnecessary pushing. All we need is just to hold on for a minute by standing out of the way, allowing the passengers to alight first. Grace will be shown just by taking up of our that one minute.

On the other hand, when we become the alighting passengers, similarly we need to be given that same grace so that we can alight from the train smoothly without any hassle. Hence, not only we need to display grace to people around us but we also need grace to be given to us. As one of my church speakers said last Sunday, grace is an undeserved favour. Not that we do not need to keep our public toilets clean or give way to alighting passengers but come to think of it, we are giving a favour to our fellow people of Singapore. Furthermore, we are giving it out of goodwill.

If we as God's creation knows the importance of showing grace and being given grace. I can conclude that God Himself being the Creator, knows the importance of grace more than any of His creation. Jesus, Himself has given or rather lavished on us His Amazing Grace by forgiving all of our sins which we commited against Him.

The day when I was born, I have already sinned against Him. This is because I have turned away from Him and worshipped other things (For example, idols like money and man-made structures) beside Him forgoing that precious relationship that He desires to have with me. However, He did not give up on me and slowly worked in my heart through His Holy Spirit, bringing me to come to know Him and experienced this Amazing Grace - that is to believe in Him, repent of my sins and follow Him.... in that, He gave me the right to be called His Son.

Although, I have done many things to sadden Him, yet He forgave me and by His Grace, I am saved. (Eph 2:8-9) God's Grace is indeed an undeserved favour from Him. We are all not worthy of His salvation gift but yet He gave it all to us by His Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment