Saturday, May 27, 2006

Book Review

Since after my exams in early May, I have been reading. The first book which I read after my exams is "The Da Vinci Code". Hope to finish reading it so that I can return to my sister's friend who is the owner of the book. After reading "The Da Vinci Code", I feel that I have already built up a sense of motivation in reading books. Haha, therefore I managed to finish reading two more books namely, "Disciplines of a Godly Man" by Pst R. Kent Hughes and "Personal Bible Study Methods" by Pst Rick Warren.
Upon reading, I just want to do a simple book review of these books. "Disciplines of a Godly Man" is a book lent to me by my bible study leader. He actually hope to use this book as our bible study material. However due to his hectic schedule, we did not really get to go through this book. It has been on my book shelf for many weeks before I finally decided to read through it. (Actually I hope to clear off reading some of the books which I either bought or friends gave to me which I have not read.) This book highlights sixteen disciplines of a Godly Man. They are namely:
Relationship
Discipline of Purity
Discipline of Marriage
Discipline of Fatherhood
Discipline of Friendship
Soul
Discipline of Mind
Discipline of Devotion
Discipline of Prayer
Discipline of Worship
Character
Discipline of Integrity
Discipline of Tongue
Discipline of Work
Ministry
Discipline of Church
Discipline of Leadership
Discipline of Giving
Discipline of Witness
Discipline of Ministry

In my opinion, we men really need lots of discipline and these sixteen disciplines are our goals which we should work towards to. Like Pst Kent Hughes puts it, "When one seriously trains, he willingly undergoes hours of discipline and even pain so as to win the prize - running 10,000 miles to run 100 yards at one's best. The successful Christian life is a sweaty affair! No manliness no maturity! No discipline no discipleship! No sweat no sainthood!" Let us enforce discipline in our lives, shall we?

The other book, "Personal Bible Study Methods" is a book which teaches you twelve methods of personal bible study which you can use at your own discretion. Okay, without further a-do, let's take a look at these twelve methods discussed by Pst Rick Warren. (By the way, he is also the author of the book, "The Purpose Driven Life")

The twelve methods are namely:

The Devotional Method of Bible Study
The Chapter Summary Method of Bible Study
The Character Quality Method of Bible Study
The Thematic Method of Bible Study
The Biographical Method of Bible Study
The Word Study Method of Bible Study
The Book Background Method of Bible Study
The Book Survey Method of Bible Study
The Chapter Analysis Method of Bible Study
The Book Synthesis Method of Bible Study
The Verse-by-Verse Analysis Method of Bible Study


Under the appendices of this book are some topics which all of us can definitely benefit by reading. They are, "How to Have a Meaningful Quiet Time", "General Questions for a Biographical Study", "A List of Positive and Negative Character Qualities", "A Partial List of Biblical People", "A Suggested List of Key Words for Study", "What to look for in a Chapter Analysis Study" and "A Plan for Studying the Bible Systematically"

That's all folks for my book review of these two books. Next time, if I have the time to read more books, I can do more book reviews on my blog. God Bless. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment