Thursday, September 21, 2006

“Going Public With Your Faith” Thoughts

As I was reading Chapter 2 of this book today, I was in awe of the main point which the two authors are driving at, which as a matter of fact is the theme of this whole book – to go out into the secular world so that you can be witnessing to the numerous souls who are still being blinded by the god of this world (2 Cor 4:4).

I strongly feel God’s timing for the various events which came across my life during this year. This year is in fact a very, very eventful year for me. (Note that I have used up two ‘very’ to express the intensity). Indeed, at the beginning of this year 2006, I made up two new year resolutions for myself. One of them never been realized due to my own disobedience to God (Sorry, Father). The other one sort of been realized halfway. It can be considered done or not done. Okay, this second resolution can be shared which is to run a full marathon.

A full marathon which is 42.195 km. Yes, a full one… Why I say it is sort of been realized halfway is because I did not run the full marathon in one shot but done it in installments. That is I ran 21.1 km for Army Half Marathon (AHM) on 27 August and will be doing another 21.1 km on 3 Dec for Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon. So all in all, I did run a full marathon after all. Haha. Okay, I cheated. I promise as of this entry that I will run a full marathon definitely next year 2007, ok?

Yes, this year is indeed eventful because first of all, I need to clear my final year project (fyp) and final year modules to make sure that I can graduate in time in June. Furthermore, I need to make sure that my parents attend my convocation smoothly and all. Also I have to go back to serve the Army for another four months plus to complete my NS liabilities. In addition, I have to make one major decision and that is either to serve God full time in ministry or to go out into the working world.

This book, “Going Public With Your Faith” teaches and encourages people not to have the mindset of working in secular jobs means wasting your time and fades in comparison to serving God full-time in ministry. It really educates me about the distorted beliefs which I have been harbouring since 2004. I have always thought that in order not to waste my life, I need to be serving God full-time either in campus ministry, bible studies, prayer sessions or many other Christian ministries. However reading this book makes me realize that in fact doing your normal secular jobs is not wasting your life at all. You are actually going out to God’s harvest field at the workplace which is actually not smaller in comparison to the campus ministry or in fact a bigger scope of area!

Going on to working life will mark a brand new chapter and beginning of my life. Entering into my company (have found a job) will mean building relations with my colleagues and learning new things in a brand new and unfamiliar environment. It will take time to adapt and I will definitely face a lot of changes to my life. Like what one of my brothers says, “There are three events which will cause stress to your life. They are, firstly changing job, secondly, getting married and lastly, moving house.” However, one major thing remains. My God is still asking me to reach out for Him and be His witness no matter where I go. He guarantees that He will be with me till the end of the age. Oh, what can I say? I can only tell Him with all my sincerity :
感谢主!

No comments:

Post a Comment