Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Goal

What is a goal?
• noun 1 (in soccer, rugby, etc.) a pair of posts linked by a crossbar and forming a space into or over which the ball has to be sent to score. 2 an instance of sending the ball into or over a goal. 3 an aim or desired result. (AskOxford)
When my friend is asked recently what is his goal in life, he thought for a while and then shakes his head to tell us that he does not know what his goal is. He does not know what does he want to do in life. Then, my friend starting to probe him further by asking him what does he like besides women, money and cars. He still does not know.
My goal in life? For me, it is to be an engineer. I have aspired to be an engineer since my secondary school days. I remembered that when I was still in secondary one, my classmate (sorry, not Albert. I got other classmates besides him, ok? haha) questioned me about my ambition. At that time, I replied plainly that I want to be an engineer. I want to be an useful person and in my view, engineers are very useful people because they make our lives easier by making useful things. Without engineers, you may even have difficult finding a place to rest and live. haha, a bit exaggerating lah.
When I reached secondary two, I realised that there are many different types of engineers. Therefore, I started to think carefully which type of engineers do I want to be. Eventually, you all know the answer right, I went into Electronics. I feel that at least I like logic gates (they look logical to me) and I said to myself, "Why not?" Today, I am an electronic engineer. Okay, not yet but soon to be in another eleven days or so. This is my aim. This is my desired result.
Just like there are many different types of engineers, there are many different type of goals. As of today or rather about five years ago, I have reached another goal in my life. What is it? It is found in 1 Peter 1:8-9.
Though I have not seen Jesus, I love him; and even though I do not see him now, I believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for I am receiving the goal of my faith, the salvation of my soul. (verses modified for personal application)
Just like I am glad to have reached my goal of becoming an engineer, I am glad to know that I am receiving the goal of my faith which is the salvation of my soul. Developing a relationship with Jesus to me takes time. Right from the beginning, it is relational. If you have not realised, we are all in relationships. Be in BGR (I know you may be thinking of this straightaway), family, friends, bosses, colleagues or classmates. It is all relational. The same is with befriending Jesus.
I feel honoured to know a truest and dearest Friend who has guided and taught me many things in life. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment