Saturday, February 20, 2010

Keeping cool in HOT times

One week into coming back home to Singapore, my body is starting to get used to the hot and humid weather. It was a struggle in the beginning for me especially after spending a little over one year in a colder and less humid place like Utah. Even standing directly in front of the freezer section of my fridge, I am still feeling warm.

I thank God that now I am feeling less warm and also through this course of one week of ‘doing nothing’ at home, I managed to spend quite some time with my Father and learnt a few important things from Him. I thought maybe I can share it here since recently there is a pastor in Singapore who has ‘lost his cool’ in his preaching.

Well, everyone knows that there are two sides to a coin. Head and tail. Not so long ago, I was in fact drawing lots from throwing a coin after much prayer. ‘If it is Head, Father, then you want me to go to the workplace to minister but if it is tail, then it will be over to be a full-time minister in a Para-church organization.’ was my prayer at that point upon graduation from college. The result was head and the rest is history being written for my life.

Head and tail are the two sides of a coin. In dealing with life situations, I do believe there are also two ways of responses. Positively and negatively. You can be very positive to the life circumstance and move forward with it or you can also be very negative towards the situation which in turn is inducing a downward spiral of emotions which will affect others around you as well. I strongly believe that God will like us to response positively to all life situations because He is our Great Hope and He is the One who gave us the hope to share with all folks around us (1 Peter 3:15).

Under the hot and humid conditions in Singapore, I will want to continue to maintain my cool. I do not want to sound frustrated and impatient when things do not go my way but I want to still edify the people around me so that I will be the person whom people will like to go to. I will be the person with the HOPE which Christ has given to me through His sacrifice on the cross. Romans 5:8 says it well, “But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we are yet sinners, Christ died for us.”

Simply because of this verse, I have the hope to carry me through in life in the midst of economy crisis, wars and rumors of wars, earthquakes and other natural disasters, families breaking up around me and many other life situations. With this hope, I am called to respond positively to all issues.

As the coming of the Day approaches, I will really like to share with all true believers of our LORD to continue to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another. With this in mind, I hereby will like to encourage the pastor who was shot down recently due to his preaching, to respond positively to the criticism and continue to live out a godly life full of hope in the coming of our LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ Who will be bringing all of us to reign with Him for eternity.

To the glory of Christ, let’s continue to keep our cool in these hot times of the last days!

No comments:

Post a Comment