Thursday, April 12, 2007

六个月的回忆

Today is 12 April 2007. It has been six months of being in the working life. Super fast paced. Everyday just passes by no matter whether you are struggling with your work, performing well or simply enjoying your time with your beloved colleagues. You start work at a certain time and before you know it (as you busied yourself with the daily chores), it’s time for you to knock off to go home to sleep. ~haha~

Six months in my company has left me with happy emotions. I feel quite at ease with my daily work and also have an enjoyable time working with my colleagues. Not because all of them are females but it is a good time to exchange our views on many issues including my beloved Saviour, Jesus Christ Himself during our supper and breakfast breaks. Coming from a variety of backgrounds, we certainly hold different views and it is a time of cross-cultural communication with people from Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and China.

I thank God for helping me to be able to work in a pure Chinese environment. My stint in Shanghai back in 2005 was indeed a very good experience for me as I work in my current company. To converse in mandarin has now become the norm for me and sometimes I wonder when was the last time that I actually converse in English? Oh yes, in church definitely. Being in China for a period of six months has also enabled me to understand Chinese in a different light. This has also helped me to be able to work more closely with them. In short, the idea of teamwork stands out very strongly in my department. Hence to be able to work closely with people of different nationalities is very essential.

The trademark of my department is it possesses strong family values. Take a walk around my colleagues’ cubicles and you will be able to see them displaying the photographs of their spouses and many gifts from their other halves on their desks. Work late in the office and you can often see them calling their spouses to inform if they are coming back for dinner. Sometimes, they will stay back late in the office because they are waiting for their wives to knock off from work so that they can go home together. One colleague was even telling me that she was going back to prepare chicken soup for her husband who has worked for the past thirty-six hours.

Furthermore, some of my colleagues are even encouraging me to settle down early. (The married colleagues account for almost 90% in my department.) They even joked with me that the success rate of courting girls in our department is 100% - three of our department engineers courted three girls from the production side and all of them became their wives. However if I fail, the success rate will drop by 25%. ~haha~

It has been fun to work with my fellow colleagues. They are also jokers whom will laugh at your jokes no matter how cold they are or worst – lukewarmed! ~hehe~

Six months has gone by and soon I will not be a fresh grad anymore. I have told myself that whoever will be joining our department in the months ahead, I will want to be a great host to him / her and bridge them to our fantastic department culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment