Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Marathon Aftermath

Thinking back on my 1st marathon which I have finished on Sunday, I remembered very vividly that as I was running through East Coast Park, it was very agonizing. The spirit was really low because all I see ahead is a long stream of guys and girls running ahead with no end in sight. Furthermore, where is the U turn point? It seems so far ahead.

I started to despair and thoughts came flooding my mind. Why do I want to run a marathon? Waking up at 3am on a Sunday morning just to torture myself? However, I know that I have to press on because the race has started and I am now in the race itself. I need to run with perseverance because I know that if I am able to reach the finish line, the much coveted t-shirt will be mine (see previous post).

Before the race, I have prayed for my church brothers and myself that God may see us through the entire 42.195 km. Thank God that in spite of my lack of sufficient training and preparation for the race, He sustained me through the 1st 21 km without my legs cramping at all after the 15 km mark. Amazing!

The real test came at the East Coast Park area. We are required to run the whole stretch of East Coast Park and by the time, I have reached the place, the sun is already up and shining. It was indeed tough. Pushing myself to go on at this moment now is my mind which is constantly filled with the image of the coveted t-shirt.

Run to walk and walk to run is the subsequent moving pattern for me to cover the whole distance required of the East Coast Park area. Reaching Fort Rd, I started to see my spirit up again as I know that it is about 9 km back to the finish line. Hence, it’s time for me to start a slow jog back all the way.

Of course all is not so smooth as my legs are starting to cramp by then and even brisk walking is beginning to arouse my nerves to cause pain. Have to endure and press on all the way to the end. Thank God for all the various supporters of runspiration to give me the additional encouragements which were much needed.

In the end, I managed a net time of 6 hrs 16 min to reach the finish line. Here is the entire torturing route which I have taken ->
42.195 KM

No comments:

Post a Comment