Monday, May 14, 2007

寂寞公路

Lonely Highway. A song which I am listening now as I type out my thoughts in this entry. A song by Sky Wu. Hence, there is no connotation to why the title of this entry is the song title. The simple reason is that I cannot think of any other titles lah. Haha.

Seven months and five days into working life. Many things happened during these seven months. Be it the leaving of my colleagues for a greener pasture else where or the work experience and valuable lessons learnt during my night shifts are indeed important to me in the area of my job. I will say that the seven months plus spent in the realistic world after spending decades in a protected environment is an eye-opening experience. Through it all, I will say I am maturing in my thoughts and treating issues more like an adult ever.

In the working world, money is the top priority to all. You are strongly advised to be in a profession which gives you the highest returns. It will be best that you can work at home and still earn big bucks. For me, I will say I am earning quite a decent salary. Not really a lot but enough for my parents. At least for now, money is still not a big issue to me as I do not have a girlfriend to pamper or a family to support on my own. I earn enough to give to my parents and I am quite happy about being able to give to them. After giving 50% of my income away every month, I am glad that I am still able to pay for my bills and insurance with enough to be saved up for a rainy day as well. Thank God for His providence.

All my colleagues around me care about money. Maybe because that is the main reason why they are leaving their countries to work in a fab environment which I will say is very stressful and demanding. To me, I work in my current job not mainly for money. Behind it all, there is my passion and interest in microelectronics, to serve God who is my Ultimate Boss and hopefully to be an effective witness for Him in the exact location I am in right now. The income which I am getting now is mainly for my own survival in this dog-eat-dog world.

I thank God that I am not a guy who spends a lot of money in my daily affairs. Sometimes, I am one who likes to treat friends for coffee or meals. Not because I like to embarrass people or trying to be the big boss around. My innocent reason is because I hope to be able to spend some of my money away. I seriously do not hope that I work so long hours earning money and yet I am unable to spend some of it away. You earn money to spend and if you are already working so long hours with no time to spend it away; in my opinion, that is so sad. For me, I rather try not to work so long hours that I am unable to spend my money away. I really need some time to spend it away to enjoy myself. Haha.

Upon reflecting on my life in the working world, I feel that sometimes it is perfectly fine for me to spend on some expensive things once in a while in order to pamper myself for working so hard. The Jacky Cheung concert is one of these things bah. I will say that this is in fact my very first time taking my own initiative to buy live concert tickets to watch it. Even my mum does not care about how much I paid for it as she comments, “I don’t care since you are already working now. You are not spending my money anyway.” Does working equate to money alone?

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment