Friday, February 09, 2007

XY 理论

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

~Romans 7:15-24~

This week has been the lowest point of my spiritual life since the beginning of this year. I realized that I have been failing God’s standard in the area of purity. At the same time, I asked myself a question repeatedly, “What does it really mean by being filled with the Spirit?”

Every Christian struggles with God’s standard of a Christian life. Not even Paul was spared from this agony of sinning against God. He mentioned in Romans that there is this war waging between the members of the body against the mind. Personally, I have similar struggles. Many times, I do know that this thing which I am about to do is a sin but yet I still carried on to do it. Who will rescue me from this body of death? Paul went on to answer his own question, “Thanks be to God – through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

The XY Theory as adapted from the book, The Man in the Mirror goes like this:

One interesting business management theory developed by Douglas McGregor, a professor at MIT, goes by the name “Theory X / Theory Y.” The Theory X manager believes people are basically lazy and irresponsible and will do a poor job unless constantly supervised. Theory Y managers believe people generally want to do a good job, and they will respond to clearly defined objectives. If only supported and encouraged, people will get the job done.

There may be some biblical basis for this theory. The Bible depicts two parts to our mind: one controlled by the sinful nature, which we might call Mind X, and a second controlled by the Spirit, which we might call Mind Y. As followers of Christ, we are not left on our own to squirm with the sinful nature of our “Mind X”, but we have been given the Holy Spirit to teach us and guide our “Mind Y.” The Holy Spirit is how God has equipped us to win the battle for our minds.

If we understand the workings of our two minds, we can conquer our secret thought life. Here’s the decoder:

Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds [their Mind X] set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds [their Mind Y] set on what the Spirit desires. The mind [Mind X] of sinful man is death, but the mind [Mind Y] controlled by the Spirit is life and peace.

~Romans 8:5-6~


Back to my own question, “What does it really mean by being filled with the Spirit?” The author actually says that when Christ is in control of our lives, the Holy Spirit is in power. When we let the old man [Mind X] – the sinful nature – be in control, then the Spirit is quenched. The solution is to bring every thought captive (2 Cor 10:5); and if we find we have sinned, confess it (1 John 1:9), and ask Christ to again take control. That’s the essence of living by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Everyone sins. Inevitably, we are overcome and give way to temptation. When you become aware of a sin, confess it to the Lord and thank Him for forgiving your sins – past, present, future – according to His promise in 1 John 1:9. Invite Christ to again take control of your life, and get on with the next part of your life. This is the essence of living by the power of the Holy Spirit.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

~1 John 1:8-9~


When Jesus controls our lives, the power of the Holy Spirit is at work in us (John 14:26; 16:13; Romans 8:9). The Holy Spirit is given to all believers (1 Cor 3:16). However, not all believers enjoy this power because they resist Him or otherwise sin. Even more, most Christians do not understand how to live in a moment-by-moment, daily fellowship with God.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. It belongs to the surrendered man who yields control of his life to the mind of Christ every moment.

If we crucify our own ambition, confess our sins and give Jesus Christ the first place in our lives, then the power of the Holy Spirit [Mind Y] is available to meet every need. Living by the Holy Spirit is that intense moment-by-moment love relationship with Christ in which we soar on wings like eagles, or having sinned, we tearfully confess and are restored.

Knowing the XY theory, I have to be all the more alert in breaking all my ties with the old man and submitting my body to the Spirit. The first essential building block to win this battle is to do daily Bible reading and study which is coupled with prayer.

Right now, for my every prayer to God, I will first confess my sins before Him. A basic guide for prayer as I have learnt from my bible study leader is this:

Confession
Thanksgiving
Intercession
Petition
Praise

I pray that after knowing this theory, I will be ready to commit my Christian life daily to Him and to be truly living by the Holy Spirit moment-by-moment. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment