Sunday, December 31, 2017

Looking Ahead to 2018

As 2017 comes to a close, I thought about my life for this past year. It had been a year of learning for me as I took up the new role of a father. My daughter was born earlier this year and a new chapter of my life began. Being a father is indeed a life-changing experience for me. I figured that I have much to learn and also much to give up as I now dedicated much of my time to my family. Looking at my child, I sometimes do not believe that GOD has graciously gave her to my wife and me. The reason is she is so cute. Her laughter and smile just melt our hearts.

Looking back to the years where I lament about being single, I realized how GOD has brought me thus far. There is a purpose in marriage and GOD allowed me to be married because He wants me to learn something through it. Ultimately, it is never about being single or being married but it is about believing in His Son – Jesus Christ Whom He has given His Testimony (1 John 5:10-12). Being single has its purpose while being married taught me about true love which leads me to reflect on GOD loving me as my Heavenly Father, how I can be loving my wife unconditionally as her husband and with our new addition – how to love my daughter as her father. The greatest model of love is displayed at the cross and what I am being trained by GOD in this passing moment of life is merely a glimpse of what Jesus had demonstrated to all of us (Phil 2:5-8).

Life is short and passing away in a blink of an eye. Coming towards the end of the year, I received news that Pastor Harley Johnson (the pastor whom I got to know when I was working in Lehi, Utah) had gone home to our LORD. His dying wish was that he can meet the LORD, finishing well in his life. Every moment that I got to spend with him back in those days have now became precious moments in my mind. I was deeply encouraged by Pastor Harley who always finished his sermon with an invitation for people in the congregation to receive Jesus Christ as their personal LORD & SAVIOUR. In wrapping up the church service, he would always invite all in the congregation to sing this short hymn, Heavenly Sunshine together.

Heavenly sunshine! Heavenly sunshine!
Flooding my soul with glory divine;
Heavenly sunshine! Heavenly sunshine!
Hallelujah! Jesus is mine!

I believe that he is truly walking with our LORD and enjoying the heavenly sunshine now. Once again, I am reminded that I will meet the LORD one day and to give an account of my life (Rom 14:12). Everything that I have gone through in this life is nothing compared to the experience I will have when I am home with the LORD (Phil 3:8, Rom 8:18). Treasure every experience I have now because they are there to teach and prepare me for heaven. Let every living moment become a precious moment and be living for the LORD. Let us spend the time of our lives to know the LORD a little better each day and be thankful for all that we have by counting our blessings (1 Thess 5:18).

Have a blessed year in 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment